Sunday, January 25, 2009

When we are (still) young

Often when I see kids, children, babies, I will think about the same thing: That they all have a great barrage of energy. They are so energetic, curious, and they have the least worries in the world. It is not that I want to grow down again, but sometimes I feel it could be fun if I can revisit the times when I myself was that energetic, curious and unworrying kid.

Then again, since when did I leave all of that behind?

Well, honestly I think I did once. I was trying so hard to be all grown up and so-called matured. But then again when I thought about it, even grown ups are like kids! Seriously. Have you ever seen your parents fight over petty small things? Literally, arguing over something like 6 year olds. Then laughing to themselves about it. Seems pretty familiar right?

Or, how bout this. Have you ever seen your mom with her old school friends? I laugh every time I see it happen. It's almost like they never grow up. They are as noisy as when they first met 20 years ago.

I've also seen teachers who run away from other teachers at school. Macam main kejar2 pulak. Ada cikgu yang kuat isap rokok dalam toilet. Then kalau kantoi dengan student, gelak2 pulak. Like kids, they all have their naughty side.

And I think it is sad that people fail to realise that being youthful is a part of growing up.

Let's face it. People tend to put two and two together. Most people always feel that being young is being immature. And vice versa. Thing is, it is always not necessarily the case.

Maturity is all about the way of thinking. And while youngsters are young, it is not necessarily true that all youngsters are immature. Adults and old people can be youthful as well, and still not lose the thread of maturity that they have.

I think being youthful is not about denying that we are aging and getting old. We can't stop the course of nature and time, which causes us to grow and age. But then again, who said that we can't feel young and take what is good from youths? Adults can still play and have fun. They can still be naughty in an 'adultish' way, and laugh about it. It's not all work 24 hours a day.

Penatla kalau asyik serious je. It's not about being immature. It's about not losing the youthfulness that we have.

As a reminder to myself, being youthful is not the same as being immature. Being youthful keeps us happy, and playful, and always challenging ourselves in doing something that we can't already do. Sure, when we work those opportunities will diminish somehow, but that doesn't mean that all of it has to go away. Adults can find other ways to laugh and have fun. That is by unleashing the 'inner youth' within, and to not let that spirit go away.

1 comment:

Haneesa said...

setuju seribu peratus!
look at what youth brought to me :)

i is so happy to feel young.
(but admit i is a bit sad to be adult oredi. 24 is so old ok)

but you know me. and it has worked wonders on me; my youth.

so you stay young okay because i wouldn't like you any other way.

okay, let's fight in the car some more ;p