Saturday, January 3, 2009

Emotion

Emotion is a very strong word in my camp. I've always had different perspectives about emotions. During my early teenage years, I used to be very emotional toward certain things. The main emotion that governed my lifestyle during these times was maily anger. I used to always be angry, and I didn't know why, and it felt terrible.

After that, I moved on the see that emotions and emotional acting is not my ideal style of living. So in my remainder years in school, I decided to become a robot. Devoid of much emotion. Little that I realise that this charade I was playing to keep me from being angry, was actually making me feel lifeless and emotionless. After all, anger was not the only emotion, but I used to think that it was. And in the process of avoiding anger, I used to lie to myself in thinking I was happy, when actually I was not. However, this was at the peak of when I started learning to control my emotions. Little did I know, this would help me a lot in the future.

When moved on, and went to uni, I learned to have emotions again, but not to be emotional, which was great. I felt alive again, and the emotion that governed this period was happiness.

And my point?? (you bloody hell must be thinking this hehe)

In 18 years of living, I finally came to the conclusion that happiness is the BEST emotion to be felt. It brings a lot out of any man and woman. It's also relaxing, free annd unstressful. Only the hard part is to find it and to keep it. I also came to conclude that feeling emotion is important, but it should not be a dominant variable in some things.

I grew up with two totally different people in terms of emotion. One who is very emotional, and one who is not. (Lets not give names, just assume okay =D). Say for example, I discuss with the non-emotional one about a trip . Some of the things we might discuss are:

  • Where I might be staying
  • Who I'm meeting
  • What places do I visit
  • When I'm coming back
etc etc. Whereas if I discuss with the emotional one, some of the dialogues(in very very emotional tone) might sound like:

  • "Jgn la pergi lama2. Nnt boring dok umah"
  • "Tak takut ke pergi sorang2?"
  • "Karang kalau ada apape jadi karang macam mana?? Susah hati nanti"
And as you can see, there is a vast difference. The first case is focusing on getting the important things across, whereas the second case always focuses on the emotional unimportance, and always the real importance of the discussion if often neglected.

So the point here is that while emotion is important at times, using it as a variable in doing things can be hard. The main goal would be harder to reach, due to uncertainty in the course of the discussion due to the emotions shown.

Aside from that?? I know a guy, Mr S, who fights with his girlfriend sometimes. Generally, Mr S is pretty emotional. When he fights with his girlfriend, he would cut class, monyok2 with friends, and would always feel sad and angry all the time. This is because he is so emotional, that he let his emotions get the best of him. Everytime I see him there must be some drama going on, and he looks so miserable all the time. He tries to cover it up most of the time but he's pretty bad at it too hehehe.

So now what?? Suddenly feeling emotions and being emotional makes you the bad guy all of a sudden??

No no no and no. I'm not saying that at all.

Imagine a world without it. Cmon mate.. Being in love would be soooo boring. No 'manja2' or 'jiwang2' hehe. You don't really know if people care or not. Everything would be monotonous and the same. So life without it isnt a perfect life either. If the world is devoid of emotion, there would be no music. No theatres. No movies. And surely, it is against the 'fitrah' of humans.

My point here, is simply that emotions have the right time and place. I am not saying that it is wrong to show emotions. Nor am I saying that feeling it is wrong. It just needs the right time and place, and also chanelled in a good way. Look at music, or theater. It does no harm, and its fun. Given the correct time and place, emotions can help a lot, and also, the otherwise is true. So, as an endnote, learn to control it, and don't let it get the best of you. Think of Mr S!!

1 comment:

Haneesa said...

wahahahaha. i so know what you are talking about, who and what you are feeling. tapi nak buat macam manaaaaaa ... ;p