Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Time of Reflection

(Pretty long composition. Good idea for a cup of coffee)

In these past few days, have you ever sat alone and thought, really thought to yourself about, well, just about anything. About your parents, about uni, about old friends, about new friends, about religion, Gaza, America, etc2.

Have you?

Reflections. Reflections upon yourself, your life, and your coming death. It's true, I'm pretty sentimental, living in the past and all. But in a way I think this mode of reflection that I sometimes have is important, in that we always reflect back on what we done, and in a way giving ourselves a post mortem of things.

Now I admit, I am not at all perfect, in fact far from it. But this kind of reflection helps in that I become my own worst critique of things. The fact that I am not perfect gives the perfect reason to reflect upon things that I had done, or should have done. True, regret is sometimes painful, but inevitable. And to minimise regret the next time it comes along, sometimes we just have to have these reflections upon us, talk to ourselves if we need to.

As a matter of opinion, I think that experience is the best teacher, though it can be cruel and cold. But experience without the ability to think about it, is useless right? Imagine going through the same kind of lesson, but never really reflecting upon it properly. Bloody useless aye?

In fact, I think the greatest thinkers and for that matter, people in general, are people who have the ability to reflect upon themselves and think. Only in that way, will people progress, because the realisation to change comes from within.

Kalau keras kepala, and tak penah pikir pasal experience sendiri, tak progress juga kan..

Like for example. Have you ever been in a presence of someone who doesn't pray? Seriously, they really don't, and they don't seem to care. They come to your house since Zuhur and they don't pray, and on it goes till Asar, and still they don't pray. You pray but they don't care. They keep on watching TV, or play the comp, or whatever.

(Breather =D)

Now I admit, I am not perfect in terms of praying either. Of course la, kadang2 tu kita kantoi Subuh. Nama pon jantan. Bangun lambat dah pasti la kan. Kadang2 solat lain pon ada terkantoi. Tidur sana, busy sini.

But. I repeat, BUT, there is a hell of a lot difference between not praying and not caring whether we pray or not, and I am thankful that I have a sense of guilt when I don't pray.

I have seen quite a number of people, some really close to me, that don't pray, and by the looks of it, do not really care whether they do or not. Not caring is another matter. What if they don't even know that they have to pray? That is another thing altogether.

I think people who refuse to talk to their parents also need some reflection upon their lives. I mean, c'mon. Who really wants to grow up taking a vow of silence with their own parents, their own flesh and blood.

Their parents might had done something to them, but how long would they deny that in truth, seeing their parents once again is the only thing that they actually want most?

(Another Breather )

Always, after certain events, I seem to get in a trance of reflecting upon things happening around. Like tahlils for example. I always find that, after going to a tahlil, whether for someone close to me or not, I always seem to find my own quiet spot, and think to myself things. About friends, parents, life, death, and stuff like that.

And it is cool because I am alert about the way things are, and like I said, post-morteming (wtf?) life at that point.

Sometimes, I always reflect after rare occasions of reading the Kitab, or rarer still, when I'm alone at the Mosque. I used to sit for long minutes at the Surau when I was in school. Not because I am warak, but because that is the kind of place that hepls me think.

I can say that reflection is like meditation, and always keeping track of where life is standing. That is why I dare say that the best thinkers are people who always reflect. They are not outdated, they are progressive, and they are always thinking.

So I guess the end result of all this is that reflecting upon our lives is good, and if we are doing it as often as we need to, then it's okay. I think people who seldom do it should try it.

Put on some good music. Go to the mosque. Go and pray some Hajat Prayer. Read the Kitab. Whatever. It's a good way to keep track of where we are now. Trust me. It's a good feeling.

It might be sentimental, and always living in the past is not good. But, we can't deny the importance of living in the past if we need a better future. God gave us 'akal' for a lot of reasons, and one of em is to learn from the past.

That, I guess, is the best use of reflection...

(Damn...That was long....)

No comments: