Thursday, June 4, 2009

Idelized love.

I just finished watching a movie. I wont tell you what it is because, well, because....

Okay2 cut the story short. It's basically a love movie. Now i don't watch movies often. Let alone love movies, because they're all lovey dovey and sweet...Don't get me wrong, its not that I dont like the story, its the love parts that makes me all "warmm and fuzzy". When people go "awwww sweet" (note: girls) I go "awwwww, ok laa".

But after recapping most of the love movies that I watch, (note: I can count them with my fingers, and I mean hands..okay2 two hands.) I find that love in movies, are very very idealized.

Oh yes, very idealized.

You know, flowers by the bed when the girl wakes up. Wedding on top of a roof in Manhattan. an 'I Love You' every second, followed by a kiss. Love at first sight. Romeo and Julio. U know..all that.

Not to burst any bubbles but somehow, very honestly, I think love does not happen that way in life. We dont fall in love at first sight and we dont say I love you every second. Selfishly, I think movies tend to give a very limited and idelized portrayal of what love really is.

Movies tend to say that love is easy. Love is straight up, easy. You know, easy to find, and when youre in it, easy to keep. Awww love love love.

Thing is, love needs to be found. It's not easy to find in real life and it's not easy to keep when youre in love. That is, if you found it in the first place. It's beautiful yeah, I dont deny that, but it is hard to find, and hard to keep.

And in movies, love is a total devotion to the other person. No kidding. "I'll die for you". "You jump I jump". Woo, imagine how many people would have died then. Thing is, being in love does not mean total devotion. We still need some devotion to ourselves right? Of course you love em, but in the first place, why jump of the Titanic. Just stay put together on top of the damn ship.

Apa lagi ek. Love means no lies, I'll accept you the way you are. Hurmm. Of course love means accepting oneself as they are, but if the true self is a thief? Or a liar? Or a drunk? You accept them the way they are? Got to look out for yourself also right?

My point is, love is really really idealized in movies. We can't take the portrayal of love in movies as what happens in real life. Sure, we would want that, but it's just not probable.

But idealized love is good as well. In a life where love is not ideal, its good to give a glimpse of the world if it is really ideal. At least for two hours in a total of 24, we have a warm feeling inside that might give us some kind of strength and inspiration, to find love, and to not give up on the way.

Hey, that's what movies are for right? To give a glimpse of what could be. It's fantasy, but it gives people some hope.

At least for two hours, we all feel some kind of love. Just, don't think that that's how it really is.

No comments: